- Head to the Emails Module by hovering on Settings on the left, and click “Emails”.
- Hover over the email you’d like to trigger, and click the purple “Trigger” button OR the lightening bolt to the left of the email.
- Select who the email should go to and who it should be from, and then set the conditions for the trigger.
- Click save, and you’re done. The lightening bolt will appear purple when an email is triggered.
- Be sure to test that the trigger works by testing your system!
- You can edit the trigger following the same steps.
Adding a trigger to an email allows you to control when the message is sent based on user or admin actions.
For example, when a user first registers, you can trigger a “Welcome” email to go out. You can also trigger an email based on products ordered, payments made, or a status change.
To create a new email trigger or to edit an existing email trigger, first you must access the Message Management module- go to the “Settings” tab and click “Emails”
Step by Step Guide to Managing Email Triggers:
Now that you are in the message management module, you will need to locate the email you would like to set a trigger for and click the purple “Trigger” button.
You can also click the lightening bolt to the left of the email name. When it is purple, it means the email already has a trigger set up, if its blank, like below, no trigger has been created.
The first step in setting up an automated email is to designate who the recipient of the email should be and who it should look like it is coming from.
The recipient can be the user, another email collected during the registration process, yourself, or an additional admin in the system.
Next you can set the frequency of the email by changing the “Send Only Once” to on or off.
Note:Send only once is set as the default because it is only in rare circumstances that you will want an email to send multiple times to the same user.
Finally you will set the trigger conditions — the conditions that need to be met in order for this email to be sent. Click “Set Trigger Conditions”.
Each section (Registration, Payments, Status, Forms, Products/Services, and Fields) has a sub menu for you to look through and select from.
You can stack conditions that either ALL need to be met or ANY need to be met for the email to be sent.
When you’re finished, remember to click “That’s It, I’m Finished!”.
- Registration: This section has options based on the overall registration (i.e. “user registers” or “child created”)
- Status: Triggers in this section would be comprised of the statuses that are created in the User Management section (i.e. “excluded status” or some other customstatus).
- Payments: This section is where you can trigger based on the status of each payment made (i.e. “payment marked as approved”).
- Forms: Triggers that can be set on the status of forms in their registration (i.e. “form complete” or “form incomplete”).
- Products/Services: Triggers that can be set on selection and payment of products (i.e.”product added to cart” or “product paid for”).
- Fields: Triggers that are set according to the answers selected by your registrants (i.e. if they say yes to a multiple choice question, or complete an answer field).
- Trigger settings:
- All options are required: The trigger will not activate unless ALL conditions are met.
- Any option is sufficient: The trigger will activate on ANY conditions that is listed.
- Reverse Trigger: This will remove the form if the condition(s) that you’ve selected are not fulfilled.
Then click “Save Email Trigger” at the bottom right.
A purple lightning bolt should appear next to your newly triggered email template. If you click the lightning bolt, it will show you the trigger conditions. You can also edit or delete triggers from that section.