We have so many clients that run AMAZING camps and we love the camp world both in the U.S. and abroad! We thought it would be fun to dig up some research on what camps really looked like in the US. How many are there? How much do camp sessions cost on average across the US? What does the industry as a whole look like? So, in an effort to answer those questions, we present to you…”Summer Camp Infographic: Amazing Facts on USA Camps”.
We scoured the internet and data from the camps we work with to put this all together. Some fun facts:
- There are more than 12,000 summer camps operating in the United States, including 7,000 overnight camps and 5,000 day camps.
- The summer camp industry profits upwards of $15 million a year. Wow!
- More than 6 million children participate in some form of camp – sleep away camp and day camp.
- Summer camps employ 1.5 million staff a year.
- 80% of camps use social media as part of their marketing.
- The average cost of running a camp for 1 year is between $750,000 – $1 million!
- 86% of camps have a website. (How is this number so low! Everyone should be online!)
If you want to learn more about summer camps, check out some posts we’ve written in the past all about marketing for camps, especially on social media like Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, and how to create events on your Facebook page to drum up new business or publicize your camp registration season, as well as this great Camp Social Media FAQ post!